Kent cricket legends, Derek Underwood and Alan Knott have joined the ranks of Kent greats, Frank Woolley, Colin Cowdrey and Les Ames by havinga stand at the St Lawrence Ground in Canterbury named after them.
As part of Kent Cricket’s ground redevelopment, the Annexe Stand has been renamed the Underwood and Knott Stand.
Both cricketers were present for the official unveiling of the newly named stand, which took place at lunch on the second day of Canterbury Cricket Week, at the Kent s v Surrey LV= County Championship match on 11th August.
Commenting on the renaming, Kent Cricket chairman, George Kennedy stated; “This is a wholly appropriate honour to two of the greats of Kent cricket. All over the world the names Underwood and Knott are universally recognised as outstanding England and Kent cricketers, with the combination of, caught Knott, bowled Underwood, legendary.”
Derek Underwood (Kent player from 1963 – 1987)
Derek Underwood is unmatched post-war for control of the line and length; master of containment, grudging every run, always probing and virtually unplayable on rain affected or worn pitches. 1951 first-class wickets for Kent, 530 in limited-overs, 100 first-class wickets in his debut season aged eighteen, twelve times 100 in all competitions. Three times nine wickets in an innings, 38 times ten in a match.
Alan Knott (Kent player from 1964 – 1985)
Alan Knott was one of cricket’s greatest wicket-keeper batsmen, and a pivotal figure in Kent’s successes of the 1970s. An inspirational keeper; over 80 dismissals in three successive seasons, six times six in an innings, once nine in a match. 198 dismissals by the Knott-Underwood combination. As a batsman, he was a virtuoso of the unorthodox, and a brilliant improviser against pace. No cricketer ever worked harder to keep himself in peak condition.