Good news for Tredwell and Saggers

Monday 14th December 2009

James Tredwellis addedtoEngland’s Test squad for thefirst time

By Mark Pennell
KENT“S bowler of the season for 2009, James Tredwell, will be hoping to make it third time lucky after winning a third winter call up by England today.
The 27-year-old off-spinner has been named as cover for Graeme Swann in the Test squad currently in South Africa preparing for Wednesday“s first Test at Centurion.
Tredwell, who took 69 championship wickets during Kent“s promotion campaign costing 26.40 apiece, is named as back-up for Swann, who is struggling to shake off a side injury.
England team director Andy Flower said: “Graeme“s injury is improving and we expect him to be available for the first Test. But with a further three Matches to come after Centurion we have decided that we need a ‘like for like“ replacement on hand for Graeme should this be required later in the tour.”
Tredwell, who was also called up last month to England’s One-Day International squad, was previously selected for a one-day international tour of New Zealand but has still to make his full international debut.
He joins the England Test party from England’s Performance Programme side, for whom he scored 70 in last week“s tour match against Nashua Titans President“s Xl.
Meanwhile, former Kent and England seamer Martin Saggers has been named on the ECB’s first-class umpires reserve list for 2010 together with Paul Baldwin.
Saggers, who retired from first-class cricket at the end of the summer, obtained his umpiring qualifications in 2004/5.
He demonstrated his umpiring skills between matches this summer and will now be given further umpiring opportunities. ECB umpires“ manager, Chris Kelly said: “We are pleased to welcome Martin and Paul onto the Reserve List for 2010 which increases the number of umpires available at this level. Along with the other members of the Reserve List there are now plenty of opportunities for them to demonstrate their officiating skills within our domestic game and to aspire to being at the forefront of officiating the sport.”
Martin Saggers added: “I“m delighted to be continuing my career within the game of cricket. Hopefully I will be able to gain some valuable experience this year on the reserve list and gain the necessary time out in the middle to push myself onto the full list.”
Though Mike Harris and John Holder both retired from the full ECB list this year, neither official is to be replaced.
Photo: Getty Images