Skip to main content

Kent bowl out Sussex on day 3 to set up final day push

Tuesday 19th July 2016

Men’s First Team

Kagiso Rabada took three wickets as Sussex were dismissed for 333 on the hottest day of the year so far in Tunbridge Wells.

Kent go into the final day of the Specsavers County Championship clash holding a 242-run lead and with the option to enforce the follow-on and push for their third win of the campaign and enhance chances of promotion.

Click here for final day tickets – £5 for adults, free for under 16s

Rabada, who bagged three for 81 on the fairly lifeless Nevill pitch, said: “A lot of the guys are exhausted, that was a hot day wherever you might be in the world.

“We fought very hard and tomorrow we’ll be looking to finish these guys off. There’s a bit of turn for the spinners, and some footmarks, so hopefully they can create problems.

“This has been a magnificent effort by the team and everyone bowled well today and played their part. We’re giving it our best shot and even though some complained about the heat, it was all in good spirits, it was all banter.

“When we have to do the business and execute our skills we will and hopefully we can come out tomorrow fully rested and blow them away.”

New Zealand batsman Ross Taylor hit an unbeaten century for Sussex and he teamed up with England T20 star Luke Wright to add 114 in 34 overs either side of lunch.

Rabada broke the stand with the second new ball as Wright swished outside off stump and on the back-foot, edging to Kent keeper Callum Jackson to make it 219 for four.

Ben Brown sidled out but, with his score on five, proffered no shot to a Rabada length-ball to go leg before and give the 21-year-old his third wicket.

Just before a delayed tea, Chris Jordan (7) lent back aiming to force one from Darren Stevens through the covers only to edge to James Tredwell at second slip.

Six wickets down at tea, Sussex did their utmost to bat out the session, losing their last man in the final over of the day.

Will Beer was run out by a direct hit by Stevens from mid-off and, after taking a fearful blow on the helmet from a Rabada bouncer, Danny Briggs was caught behind off James Tredwell who, together with Imran Qayyum, polished off the innings with lbw decisions.

Having resumed on their overnight total of 69 for one – a first innings deficit of 506 – Sussex suffered their first casualty of the day after half-an-hour when Nash fell for 55.

Moments after posting a 128-ball 50 with nine fours, the veteran right-hander was pinned on the back foot by a Rabada off-cutter that appeared to keep low.

Indian umpire Virendra Sharma, officiating in the game as part of an ECB exchange scheme, duly raised his finger for the first time in the match.

Rabada was rested after a morning stint of 5-3-7-1 and replaced at The Pavilion End at The Nevill Ground by Mitch Claydon.

Claydon, whose bowling went for just over two an over, struck in the 51st over to remove Luke Wells for 22.

Looking to square drive, the youngster found a thick inside edge to drag the ball onto his own leg stump.


Click here to buy tickets and save on gate prices