Skip to main content

Spitfires defend modest score to win 2nd T20 in two days

Friday 8th July 2016

Men’s First Team

Kent Spitfires defended a moderate score to clinch a second win in two days with a three-run win against Gloucestershire in a dramatic finish at Bristol.

After a strong start by openers Joe Denly (51) and Tom Latham (27), Kent's middle order struggled to time the ball on a slow used pitch.

In reply, Gloucestershire could manage only 145 for eight, despite 42 from Michael Klinger and Benny Howell’s rapid 37. Kagiso Rabada (one for 19) and David Griffiths (two for 22) were the pick of the Kent attack.

Click here for tickets to the final T20 group game at The Spitfire Ground on July 22

The hosts needed 16 off the last over, begun by Mitchell Claydon, but finished by Griffiths after the Australian left the attack after bowling a second no-ball full toss above waist height.

The start of the match saw Denly help himself to early sixes off Matt Taylor’s first and second over, but Gloucestershire bowled well in the powerplay, with Liam Norwell bowling three overs for 19, to restrict their visitors to 46 without loss after six overs.

Even so, Kent looked to have laid the foundation for a decent total when with the total on 57 in the eighth over Latham was caught at deep mid-wicket off Howell.

Denly reached his 21st T20 half-century off 33 balls including four sixes and two fours, before getting an under-edge to Tye and being bowled with the score on 94 in the 12th over.

It proved a turning point as Howell, Tye and left-arm spinner Tom Smith put the squeeze on Kent. Only 17 runs were added in the next four overs and Sam Northeast and Alex Blake departed.

A brief Darren Stevens cameo of 20 off ten balls was the best the visitors could manage and scoring seemed tricky on a used pitch.

Gloucestershire made a poor start chasing the modest target when Hamish Marshall was run out for a single by a smart piece of fielding from Kagiso Rabada off his own bowling.

Ian Cockbain was struck on the helmet by Rabada before being bowled for eight by a good delivery from Mitch Claydon.

At the end of the powerplay Gloucestershire were 37 for two, but Rabada had bowled three of the six overs in an attempt to remove danger-man Klinger.

The Gloucestershire captain looked well set in the 12th over when a leg-side wide from James Tredwell saw him stumped by Sam Billings. At the end of that over the hosts were 74 for three.

Howell went straight on the attack, blasting a straight six and a four off the next over from Fabian Cowdrey. With Chris Dent already going well, it was the impetus Gloucestershire needed.

Dent went for 28 to an injudicious scoop shot off Griffiths that saw him glove through to Billings and at 104 for four in the 15th over the game was still in the balance.

Kent took control when Kieran Noema-Barnett was caught at mid-on off Claydon and Gareth Roderick was bowled by a full ball from Griffiths.

Rabada returned to bowl Tye with the second ball of the penultimate over, but drama ensued when Claydon’s first delivery of the last over slipped and he had to hand over to Griffiths.

That drama continued as Howell, was caught off another no-ball for height, only to be run out as he tried to claim a second run. Griffiths then held his nerve as the home side fell three runs short.

Kent skipper Sam Northeast said: "Mitchell Claydon was supposed to pitch the ball halfway down the pitch in the final over so I'm not sure what went wrong. It was a greasy ball, which obviously slipped out of his hand, and these things happen.
"Fortunately David Griffiths had a couple of overs left so we were able to turn to him. He has been a death bowler for us so he was a good guy to have up our sleeves.
"As against Somerset last night, we were slightly disappointed with our score, but the bowlers have done the business for us. Now the aim is to win our last three group games and see where it takes us."


Click here for tickets to the final T20 group game at The Spitfire Ground on July 22