Kent survive tough session to edge ahead

Wednesday 6th May 2009

Kent v Glamorgan LV County Championship Division 2, day two.


KENT batsmen Rob Key and Sam Northeast survived a tough, 42-minute batting session in fading light at the end of day two to edge their side ahead going into the third day of four here at a chilly St Lawrence.

Having conceded a slender first innings lead of 25, the makeshift Kent opening pair wiped out the arrears despite a stern examination with the new ball from Garnett Kruger and David Harrison.

Though they both played and missed and looked generally uncomfortable in the gloom, neither Kent batsman offered a chance and go into Friday“s play with power to add to Kent“s slender lead of five.

Earlier, Kent“s off-spinner James Tredwell and former England swing bowler Martin Saggers bagged three wickets apiece as Kent chipped away at the Glamorgan batting line up and restricted them to 307 all out.

As has been the case throughout the opening two days of this game, wickets tended to fall in bursts with Tredwell enjoying a purple patch of three for four in 16 balls, while Saggers picked up three for five inside 13 deliveries after tea.

Tredwell returned after lunch from the Nackington Road End to break a fourth wicket stand of 139 in 36 overs by dismissing Jamie Dalrymple for an excellent 79 from 116 balls. In aiming to work the ball to leg, Dalrymple hit short-leg fielder Sam Northeast, who reacted instantly to catch the rebound.

Then, in Tredwell“s next over, Tom Maynard (4) propped forward to smother a delivery that popped off the pitch, but the ball hit high on the bat face and flew straight to Northeast under the helmet.

Tredwell then turned one away from left-hander Mark Wallace to clip the top of off stump and make it 251-6 as the new ball became available.

Saggers then claimed centre stage to bowl Michael Powell (65) and David Harrison with a full length balls then, two overs later, he had Robert Croft (17) sharply caught overhead at slip by James Hockley.

The visitors were assisted greatly in the morning session by the work of the heavy roller which they selected on Wednesday afternoon, then again at the start of day two to take some of the zip out of this excellent St Lawrence pitch.

Michael O“Shea, playing his first championship match since June 2007, moved to a maiden first-class 50 from 99 balls and with six fours, but went two deliveries later when an ‘effort ball“ from Robbie Joseph grazed the shoulder of the bat and flew to slip.

Three overs later Kent enjoyed further success when on-loan Steffan Jones out-foxed Ben Wright (41), having the right-hander caught on the hook by substitute fielder Matt Coles at deep square leg. Coles was on the field for broken finger victim Darren Stevens.